Personalized anti-aging skincare strategies keep Portland, OR looking youthful
Many aspects of your personality and physical being influence how young you seem… both to yourself and to others. Yet few traits are as immediately noticeable as your complexion. Dr. Adam Maddox and his team of skincare professionals take special interest in creating anti-aging programs tailored to the individual’s skin type, lifestyle, and rejuvenation goals. The Thrive facility in Portland, OR is well-equipped to offer a multitude of leading-edge solutions for aging skin.
Characteristics of youthful skin
Because age-related complexion changes happen gradually while we are preoccupied with busy lives, we tend to forget just how vibrant our skin was in our youth. Yet those qualities are unmistakable in a child’s face:
- The entire face has softly rounded contours
- Expression lines are only seen when the face is active
- Skin is taut, without wrinkles or sags
- Lines from the nose to corners of the mouth are soft – not deep or exaggerated
- There are no obvious hollows below cheekbones or at the temples
- Around the eyes, skin is smooth and without etched lines
- Skin beneath eyes has the same tone as the rest of the face, and it is firm – not puffy or sunken
- The complexion looks dewy fresh and hydrated
- Skin tone is even, without irregular pigmentation spots
- There are no visible blood vessels
- Lips are full and pink, with a defined vermillion border
- Skin around the mouth has no radiating lines
It is not the objective of anti-aging skincare to restore or preserve a childish face. Rather, the Thrive team strives to help you retain the qualities of healthy young skin, while honoring the unique characteristics of your appearance as you mature.
How skin ages
Skin is comprised of three basic layers, each containing thousands of layers of individual cells. The deepest skin layer, hypodermis, is made primarily of subcutaneous fat that helps to regulate body temperature and cushion internal organs. Connective tissues keep skin anchored to underlying muscles. Hair follicles and sweat glands reside in the dermis, or middle layer. Collagen, a tough protein that supports skin structure, and elastin, a similar protein that gives resiliency to skin, are also found in the dermis. The epidermis, or surface layer you see, is only .05 mm thick on eyelids and up to 1.55 mm on soles of feet and palms. It contains basal and squamous cells that push to the surface and shed as they die and are replaced. Aging affects all three layers of skin.
Beginning in our late 20s or early 30s, the body’s production of collagen, elastin, and hyaluronic acid (a sugar that binds with water) slows down. Skin becomes thinner and dryer. Lips thin and tend to roll inward. Tiny blood vessels are more apt to show through, and skin progressively loses its ability to “bounce back” from frowning, squinting, pursing lips, and other facial expressions. The resulting lines and folds are called dynamic wrinkles. Over time, natural fat pads, muscle mass, and even bone diminish. Static wrinkles are the results of sagging skin caused by volume loss.
Ultraviolet light, environmental pollutants, stress, insufficient hydration, lacking nutrition, smoking, alcohol—many things we take for granted as part of life—accelerate the aging of skin. Some people have a genetic predisposition to freckles. However, cumulative sun exposure greatly accentuates such pigmentation irregularities and creates new ones, including sun spots and age spots.
The effect of professional anti-aging skincare
Portland, OR is home to one of the best-appointed aesthetic and anti-aging centers in the country. Thrive has the tools and expertise to reverse or slow down the aging processes described above.
- Your personalized skincare program may begin with a daily home care regimen tailored to your skin type, with special products for lips, eyes, or congested skin
- Chemical peels and microdermabrasion accelerate exfoliation and cellular turnover for a refreshed complexion
- Injectable neuromodulators such as Botox address dynamic wrinkles
- Dermal fillers (Juvéderm, Restylane, Radiesse, and others) counteract volume loss and static wrinkles
- Light and laser therapies are ideal for lightening pigmentation spots
- Radiofrequency and energy treatments stimulate collagen production, thickening and tightening lax skin
We also offer platelet rich plasma treatment and hormone replacement therapy for natural skin rejuvenation, and the Nova Thread Lift is a minimally-invasive facelift option.
Back to Home Page