How laser treatment in Portland, OR can reduce brown spots
They go by many names. You might call them age spots, liver spots, solar lentigines, senile lentigo, or sun spots. By any name, these brown spots on the face and body can be a vexing problem for men and women around the world. Those of you living in or near Portland, OR are fortunate to have a wide variety of premium corrective treatments, including laser therapy, available right here at Thrive.
What causes brown spots on the skin?
Sun spots are a form of hyperpigmentation. The direct cause of these dark areas is excess melanin (skin pigment) production. The underlying cause is not so simple. Evidence indicates that UV exposure is one of the most significant causative factors. These spots most commonly develop on sun-exposed areas of the body, such as the face, neck, shoulders, arms, and hands.
Although the development of these lesions is not fully understood, we know that there are several risk factors. These include:
- Age – Adults over 40 have the greatest risk
- Skin tone – Those with fair skin are more likely to develop brown spots
- Skin care habits – Frequent sun exposure and infrequent use of sunscreen significantly increase risks
- Artificial UV exposure – Indoor tanning wreaks havoc with your skin in many ways, including premature aging and development of brown spots
How laser and other light-based treatments can eliminate brown spots
Modern aesthetic medicine is a sophisticated, high-tech, precise science. Therapeutic devices can deliver measured doses of very specific energy waves, selectively targeting and correcting certain skin components. In a well-equipped practice such as Thrive, the clinics have virtually endless options at their fingertips, allowing a high level of customizations of every treatment.
Light energy is readily absorbed by melanin, the substance that gives skin it’s coloring. Those pesky little brown spots, as well as other types of hyperpigmentation, are caused by excess melanin production. Therefore, light therapies are often the ideal choice for treating them.
Certain wavelengths of light act on melanin, with minimal impact on other skin components. As the light is absorbed, it creates heat, which destroys the excess pigment. In measured doses, the energy is not strong enough to damage surrounding tissue. An experienced laser technician is well versed in the best device for each situation, and the optimal setting for every skin type.
Laser treatment options
Our Portland, OR office is equipped with a suite of lasers and other technology. We offer several laser therapies that are excellent options for correcting brown spots. These include:
- Revlite – With its trademarked SmartInfinite (SI) Handpiece, Revlite is redefining precision. It is equipped with micro-adjustment capabilities, making it the ideal choice for specifically targeting stubborn spots.
- PhotoGenesis – Though not technically a laser treatment, PhotoGenesis IPL is another wonderful light-based therapy. It is especially gentle, and suitable for most patients, even those with sensitive skin.
- SmartXide DOT® CO2 – This powerful yet low risk skin resurfacing procedure is typically completed in under an hour, with dramatic results.
Choosing the right treatment
All the above are wonderful choices for pigmentation problems. Chemical peels and other procedures can also be very effective. With this startlingly wide array of options, people often ask which is best. That question is not as simple as it seems, because the answer is different for everyone. Your skin is just as unique as you are. The best way to explore your options is by visiting Thrive for a consultation.
We don’t offer “one size fits all” solutions here. Instead, we build individual plans around the specific needs of each patient. The best treatment for brown spots will depend on several factors:
- Other cosmetic concerns – Laser treatment, chemical peels, and other procedures have many benefits in addition to brown spot removal. We will consider which option best meets your overall needs.
- Scheduling preferences – Do you prefer a few quick appointments with no downtime, or a more powerful once-and-done solution?
- Skin profile – Sensitivities, allergies, tendency to scar easily, and many, many other factors determine how your skin will react to a given treatment. We will evaluate them and discuss appropriate options.