In pursuit of the perfect pout: your guide to lip augmentation with dermal fillers in Portland, OR
If you’ve looked at Instagram lately, you’ve surely come across plenty of selfies showing off dazzling smiles with full, youthful, beautiful lips. It’s not just celebrities, plump lips have been one of the hottest trends in Portland, OR and across the country for some time, and their popularity shows no signs of waning. Of course, that is hardly surprising, since dermal fillers have made lip augmentation treatment easier, safer, and more reliable than ever.
The lip augmentation treatment
Lip augmentation is a medical procedure that adds volume to thin lips. In past generations, this could only be accomplished surgically. Understandably, most people did not want to go under the knife for fuller lips. With the development of dermal fillers, patients were provided a new option, one that does not involve surgery, downtime, or even a permanent commitment.
The dermal filler procedure is very efficient and straightforward, usually completed in less than an hour. It requires a few gentle injections, performed using a very fine needle. Lip fillers have several benefits, including:
- Add volume and structure
- Improve the shape of lips
- Eliminate lines and wrinkles in the mouth area
- Results last for several months
- Because hyaluronic acid is a natural skin compound, there is minimal risk of allergies
Are you a suitable candidate?
Lip fillers are generally performed with hyaluronic acid (HA) based formulas. Your skin naturally contains HA, so it is easily accepted by the body without concern of allergic reaction. However, some individuals do have allergies to certain anesthetic (numbing) medications. Local anesthetics may be used prior to augmentation, in order to improve your comfort, and some fillers include anesthetic ingredients. Therefore, it is especially important to tell your provider about any known drug allergies or previous adverse reactions.
For the vast majority of patients, dermal fillers are a very safe and effective treatment. There is a minimal risk of complications, and side effects usually fade away in days. Although fillers have a well-deserved reputation as an excellent anti-aging treatment, they can also address concerns that are not age related.
Lip augmentation may be right for you if you are bothered by:
- Age-related thinning of lips
- Smoker’s lines, or other lines and wrinkles around the mouth
- Lack of definition and structure of the lips
- Asymmetry in the mouth area
- Lips that are smaller or thinner than you would like
What to expect
Dermal filler treatment is remarkably fast, gentle, and efficient. Lip injections take just a few minutes. If you are having other areas of your face treated, it will take a little longer. However, the entire appointment is short enough that many people schedule fillers during their lunch hours.
About the procedure:
- Preparation – We begin by cleansing and preparing the skin. The area may be numbed with topical anesthetic, injected local anesthetic, or both. If Juvéderm XC fillers are used, numbing lidocaine is included in the formula.
- Injections – Dermal fillers are administered in several small injections, using a very fine needle. The amount and location of injections is strategically determined, according to your desired result. The process takes just minutes.
- Aftercare – You can resume normal activities immediately, but you should refrain from strenuous exercise for a day. Feel free to eat, drink (even from a straw), and move your face normally. However, don’t massage lips or other areas where fillers were used for a few days, because doing so could cause the product to become displaced.
Side effects and recovery
- Swelling – Most patients experience at least a little post-injection swelling, which will initially distort the appearance of the treated area. Although swelling subsides quickly, it may take a week or two before the final result is fully visible.
- Bruising or redness – Every patient’s body reacts differently. Some people experience bruising or redness at the injection site, which usually fades in a few days to a week. It can be covered with cosmetics.
- Tenderness or redness – As with most injections, you may have some temporary soreness at the injection site.
- No downtime – You can return to work or continue with normal daily activities immediately after dermal filler injections.
If you are ready to love your lips (and your selfies), give us a call at (503) 928-6505 and schedule a consultation.