Aesthetic physician near Tigard provides medical skin care services including acne treatment
Almost everyone has an experience with acne at some point during their lives. While it is most closely associated with adolescents, acne can also affect adult men and women. Acne is a chronic condition that behaves very differently on every individual, which means there is no one size fits all treatment. At Thrive in Portland, we specialize in medical skin care services including diagnosing acne and coming up with individualized treatment options for each patient to best control his or her outbreaks. Whether it’s with topical medications, oral medications, light based treatment, or cosmetic procedures, we can help. If you have been searching for an aesthetic physician near Tigard who provides high quality skin care services, call Thrive today.
What is acne and how does it develop?Acne is a very common skin condition that occurs as a result of clogged pores in the skin. The body’s sebaceous glands secrete an oil that keeps the top layer of skin moisturized. Our body’s largest concentrations of sebaceous glands are on the face, neck, chest, shoulders, and backs – all the most common sites for acne to occur.
The reason acne most commonly starts to occur in adolescents going through puberty, is because hormone levels begin to dramatically change. Surges in testosterone interrupt the body’s regular process of sloughing off dead skin cells. As a result, these skin cells begin to clump together and accumulate on the surface of the skin. At the same time, the rise in hormones causes the sebaceous glands to enlarge and secrete excess oil. When the oil and dead skin cells clog the pores, acne appears in the form of blackheads or whiteheads.
When bacteria begin to invade the clogged pores, the acne spots can break or become inflamed, causing papules below the skin (small red bumps with or without pus) or pustules, or pimples, above the skin (pus filled bumps).
While many people only experience blackheads, whiteheads, papules, and pimples, some people develop deep acne nodules. This happens when the walls of the pore burst beneath the skin, allowing pus and bacteria to spread to the surrounding healthy skin. When the immune system responds to these areas, it will create fluid sacs called cysts. Patients with acne nodules or cysts often experience pain and serious injury to the skin. These two types of acne are the most common cause of scarring.
Acne Treatment near Tigard
Individuals with mild acne can often get away with over the counter treatments along with a good skin care routine. Choose products that contain salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide. Make sure to start gradually with these treatments and don’t use too much, to avoid skin irritation.
Individuals with moderate to severe acne or scarring will need help from an aesthetic physician. The goal of professional acne treatment is to heal existing outbreaks, minimize the risk of scarring, and prevent future outbreaks/scarring.
We may recommend the following treatments:
- Topical products – Prescription strength topical products is the most common type of treatment. Each active ingredient targets one of the main causes of acne – excessive shedding of skin cells, excess bacteria, and excess oil production. Products typically contain retinoids, antibiotics, prescription strength benzoyl peroxide, or a combination of the three.
- Birth control pills – This can be an effective treatment for women under 35 whose acne is caused by hormonal imbalance.
- Oral antibiotics – Antibiotics such as tetracycline, doxycycline, or trimethoprim can help clear up severe acne break outs and are often used in combination with topical products.
- Light / laser treatment – Laser and light therapies can be used on all different levels of acne. These treatments are effective at reducing bacteria on acne spots, produce minimal side effects, and often provide good short-term results. Good for reducing the appearance of scarring.
- Chemical peels / microdermabrasion / aesthetic facials – These treatments are for non-severe acne breakouts and work by exfoliating the upper layers of skin. They do not address the cause of acne but can improve the appearance of the skin. Good for reducing the appearance of scaring.
- Fillers – Can be used to fill in scars and reduce their appearance.
If you are tired of dealing with the headache and embarrassment of acne, it’s time to find treatment once and for all. Let the team at Thrive, help you enjoy clearer skin. Near Tigard? Call us at (503) 928-6505 to schedule your appointment.