Patients in Portland, OR ask, “What sets Restylane filler treatment apart?”
Restylane is one of the best-known and most requested dermal filler products in Portland, OR. There are many reasons for its popularity, including the wide variety of scientifically developed formulas that facilitate highly individualized anti-aging procedures with natural looking results.
The benefits of hyaluronic acid (HA) fillers
HA is a natural substance is found in most parts of the body, so the risk of allergic reaction is eliminated. Because HA molecules bind with and retain water, it serves functions such as keeping joints lubricated, eyeballs moist, and skin hydrated. Naturally-occurring HA degrades and is metabolized very quickly, but it is continuously replenished. Like many other skin components, the production of HA slows with age, which is a contributing factor in de-volumization.
The challenge in developing dermal fillers from HA was longevity. It needed to have the same moisture retention properties as the body’s HA but metabolize much more slowly. Science solved this problem with a process known as molecular crosslinking, which results in a thick gel that is slow to metabolize. The consistency and other properties of the gel can be altered with changes in the crosslinking process.
Meet the Restylane family of fillers
Restylane was the first HA filler on the market, and it remains one of the most recognizable names. However, it is no longer a single formula. Because every skin type and every treatment area are different, the Restylane product line has grown to include a wide variety of options. Each formula has unique characteristics, giving clinicians the flexibility to provide highly customized anti-aging treatments.
The Restylane family includes:
- Restylane – The original Restylane formula is wonderful for treating nasolabial folds and other facial wrinkles.
- Restylane-L – This formula has the same applications as Restylane, but it includes numbing Lidocaine, making injections especially comfortable.
- Restylane Lyft with Lidocaine – Ideal for areas that need a significant amount of volume, Lyft is used for deep injections in the cheek and midface area. It is also excellent for restoring volume in the hands, and it is the first hyaluronic acid filler to earn FDA approval for that purpose. Like Restylane-L, Lyft includes Lidocaine in the formula.
- Restylane Silk – An ultra-smooth gel with a thinner consistency than most fillers, Restylane Silk was specifically formulated for fine details or subtle volumization, achieving natural looking results. It is used for delicate areas such as lip augmentation or fine lines around the mouth.
- Restylane Refyne and Defyne – These unique fillers are designed for flexibility. They add long-lasing volume without inhibiting the intricate movements involved on forming facial expressions. Defyne is ideal for deeper lines, while Refyne is used for more subtle volumization.
The science behind the beauty
Many people ask why we need such a variety of filler formulas. After all, they essentially accomplish the same goal, which is adding or replacing skin volume. What makes one filler better for lips, and another one better for cheeks? The simplest answer is the viscosity of the product.
Imagine dipping your toes in a pool; you probably wouldn’t even notice resistance from the water. Now imagine scuba diving deep in the ocean, where water pressure is so great that you need special equipment and protocols for safety. Increased depth equals increased pressure. The same is true of something implanted in the human body.
A thin gel injected deep into the cheeks would quickly be displaced by the pressure of surrounding tissue. However, an extremely thick substance injected superficially into a fine line around the lips would leave a lump, because there wouldn’t be enough pressure to smooth it out.
Considering the differences in volume and depth of injections, it is easy to understand why the thickness of a filler is so important. Because a gel can be made thicker or thinner by varying the crosslinking procedure, several brands offer a range of fillers. However, Restylane goes a step further, refining and adjusting the process to provide other important variables. Their fillers are made with cutting-edge technologies, which give various formulas uniquely beneficial properties.
- NASHA technology, used in Restylane, Restylane Lyft, and Restylane Silk, – This goes beyond adjusting the thickness of a filler, and refines particle size. For subtle enhancements, smaller particles create a smoother appearance. For deep injections, a larger particle size increases the strength and durability of the filler.
- XpresHAn Technology, used in Restylane Refyne and Restylane Defyne – A new and flexible crosslinking technique, XpresHAn creates a “stretchy” connection between molecules, allowing extreme movement and flexibility while maintaining continuity.
If you are considering Restylane dermal filler treatment, please give us a call at (503) 928-6505 and arrange a consultation. Dr. Maddox and his talented team of aesthetic professionals are here to help you look and feel your best.
Back to Restylane Page